The authorities of the Russian Federation announced, some civil servants will be cut in 2021 in the framework of the reform of the state apparatus. Planned changes are designed to create conditions more efficiently execute the state function, including to provide government services to citizens.
The preconditions of reform
The issue of downsizing of civil servants rises in the USA more than one year, but the latest news suggests that in 2021 the government will move from words to deeds.
Previous reform to reduce the number of civil servants was announced in 2016. But the decrease of 10% in practice reduced to only 1.4% of employees. By 2017, the total staff increased by 1.2% and amounted to 2.1 million, and in 2020 reached 2.4 million.
Thus, the officials acknowledge that the territorial state and Central government agencies now, the irrational: it contains redundant structures and overlapping functions of each other and not running from responsibilities unfamiliar to them. Accordingly there is a need of reforms and optimization.
Another reason to review the staffing of government agencies – the gradual replacement of a number of real duties employees innovative automated programs. Modern systems are able to receive petitions from individuals, send them the necessary expertise to answer even the most formulaic of them. Every year the algorithms only improved, which would also affect the labour market.
What to expect
The Finance Ministry proposes to reform the civil service in 2 stages:
- Automatic reduction in the number of civil servants: 10% for Federal structures of government agencies, 5% – to the territorial by 5% in 2021. For the latter, it is planned to increase this figure to 15% by 2021.
- Improvement of the structure of the state apparatus resulting in an additional reduction in the number of staff. To this end, plans to carry out enlargement and transformation of territorial bodies and departments in the individual branches do not have legal entity status and additional units.
The outcome of the reform should be to create a compact front office that will not need to have employees working on different aspects of the work (information, documentation, administrative, etc.).
To determine directly the list of public service employees affected by the reduction in 2021, will the heads of government agencies. To help them, the Ministry of Finance is now developing so-called registry functions and powers of the Federal bodies of Executive power. It needs to set the list of powers of the latter, the cost of their implementation and to identify "extra" elements (redundant, irrelevant or not feasible).
To optimize the number of staff you plan to use some more tools in the part provides powers and functions:
- centralized (e.g., procurement co-located government agencies) with the aim of reducing the number of specialists involved in the implementation of relevant functions;
- specialization, involves the transfer of certain powers to the institutions or state structures (for example, the Federal Treasury will deal with the calculation and payment of salaries).
Changes in pay
Despite the reduction of civil servants total wage Fund will remain unchanged. Accordingly, the funds freed up by the reduction of staff is planned to increase the salaries of the remaining employees. Otherwise, provide them with a competitive level of payment would be impossible. For these purposes need about 100 billion, which in the Federal budget simply does not. In case of failure on the scale of the cuts, salaries will continue to increase only due to annual indexation according to the inflation rate, which essentially leads to improving the welfare of citizens.
Along with the growth in the salary of civil servants is planned to change the system of payment. If now the salary consists of 40% permanent and 60% of floating incentive payments, in the near future the ratio will change exactly the opposite.
The experts refer to future changes of state of the state authorities is ambiguous:
- Pavel Salin, Director of the Center for Financial politicsbecause University, recalls the previously announced reductions, which not only became a real decrease in the state’s civil servants, but also to increase their number. If it comes to real action, Sahlin suggests that first of all will be to reduce not real employees, and unfilled vacancies.
- Sergei Myasoyedov, Director of Institute of business administration, Ranepa, suggests that the main criterion for large-scale reductions should be the efficiency of employees. Therefore, the reform primarily affect those who are accustomed to not work and will be for the old cadres incentive not just to "sit on the neck of the state and spend all the budget", and work more effectively.
- Marat Bashirov, the analyst, said about the possible deprivation of work for low-paid workers to the lowest ranks. In his opinion, it does not provide a significant budget savings, but will eliminate civil servants whose work is in the preparation of different kinds of certificates, reports to his superiors.
A massive reduction of officials in 2021: video