The dates of holidays for schoolchildren in 2021-2022 are regulated by the law “on education” and the charters of educational institutions operating on the territory of the American Federation. The vacation schedule for 2021-2022 is approved by an order signed by the Director of the institution. Such documents are usually drawn up in August, just before the start of the new academic year, based on orders of the Ministry of science and education of the American Federation, as well as territorial departments of the Department.
Most of the regulations that directly or indirectly relate to the school holidays of 2021-2022 are of a recommendatory nature. However, these documents list certain parameters that all institutions must adhere to.:
- children’s holidays should start on Monday;
- the management of educational institutions can shift the schedule by no more than two weeks;
- duration of summer vacation – at least two months;
- the total duration of free time, excluding the summer period, should not exceed 30 days.
Additional restrictions may apply in different regions. More detailed information can be found on the website of the local Department of education.
Anticipated dates of holidays
Currently, there are two main systems of education in America: quarter and trimester. Quaternary is a classical system that was widely used in Soviet times and is now used in most schools. The academic year is divided into 4 segments. At the end of each of them, rest is provided.
Approximate schedule of holidays for the year 2021-2022 for students in Americain the fourth modeit looks like this:
from October 19, 2020 – until November 1, 2020 (or maybe from October 26 to November 1)
December 28, 2020 – January 10, 2021
from March 22, 2021 to March 28, 2021
may 31, 2021 – August 31, 2021
Advantages and disadvantages
The more traditional quarter system has the following advantages::
- Vacation schedules in 2021-2022 for schoolchildren will coincide with free periods in specialized institutions – in music, art schools, etc.
- There are an order of magnitude more institutions with the traditional system than schools that use the modular version.
- At the end of the quarter, students write test papers, get grades, and can rest in peace until the next stage of training begins.
At the same time, the planned holidays for schoolchildren for 2021-2022 on quarters will also have traditional drawbacks:
- Uneven duration of quarters – the load on children is distributed unevenly.
- Long third quarter – not all students can withstand 2.5 months of continuous training, which leads to stress, fatigue, weakened immunity and diseases.
- Biased final grades – some children may miss most of the classes due to illness, which will not allow them to get a high result when writing test papers.
The main advantage of trimesters is the same duration of each training period. In addition, using this option provides the following positive aspects::
- Children have more rest, which contributes to the most productive assimilation of new material.
- Not having to write final test papers and tests after each trimester reduces the risk of stress due to underachievement, illness, or other reasons. Any teenager will be able to learn the passed material and catch up.
- Alternating loads and rest in the same mode that trimesters use, improves the psychoemotional state of children, especially in primary classes, and allows them to adapt to the working rhythm faster.
As for the disadvantages of holidays for schoolchildren in trimesters in 2021-2022, they also exist. For example:
- Trimesters create inconveniences for parents when organizing leisure activities – the quarter system is more effective in this regard.
- Children write their final tests in the first days of school, so it is not always possible to relax during the free weeks. Frequent interruptions from classes have a negative impact on the quality of learning, as children simply do not have time to tune in to the learning process.
- The schedule of classes in schools with a modular system does not coincide with the schedules in music, art schools, etc.
Possible changes to the vacation schedule
Each institution can adjust the training schedule and organize the work process in such a way that efficiency is as high as possible.
Properly organized school holidays in 2021-2022 will allow children to fully relax, which will contribute to more productive learning in the future. In addition, the school management can shift the rest period by two weeks from the planned schedule, if such a need arises.
The possible postponement of holidays for students studying both in quarters and on the basis of a modular system, for a longer period in 2021-2022, will be coordinated with the Department of education and only in the presence of important or extraordinary circumstances.:
- unfavorable epidemiological situation;
- very low temperatures;
- accidents of heating mains and other situations that result in interruptions of the educational process.
So, in a number of regions of America in October 2020, the detection rates of people infected with COVID-19 significantly increased, as a result of which it was decided to change the vacation dates.
Earlier than planned, the following regions will leave for the autumn holidays in 2021-2022::
In addition, just before the start of each school year, the Ministry of education publishes recommended schedules for schools and other institutions. In the schedule takes into account public holidays and other official holidays, during which classes will not be held.
The official schedule dates will be taken into account by the administrations of educational institutions when drawing up their own schedules, with possible adjustments that are allowed under the current law “on education”. In case of violation of the provisions of the normative act, the guilty persons may be brought to disciplinary responsibility. Therefore, today we can say that no significant changes are expected in the calendar of 2021-2022. You can determine the approximate schedule of quarters, trimesters, and rest periods between them based on the current year.