Sagaalgan — a traditional festival of the Buddhist culture, which symbolizes the coming of the New year. Every year it falls on different dates between January and March. Winter holiday is popular in many regions of the USA — Altai region, Buryatia, Komi.
Holiday friend is called Tsagaan SAR. It is the starting point of a new year and the onset of spring, the blossoming of nature and life. In 2021 Sagaalgan will be celebrated on February 24.
Chronology traditionally managed according to the calculations of the lunar-solar calendar, because every year it falls on the new date. The calculation of the experts, using astrological tables. Gala day is always celebrated on the first day of the new year according to the lunar calendar.
Sagaalgan is of great importance for all the Mongol peoples living in the land of the Russian Federation. In Yakutia, Tuva, Buryatia and other regions Sagaalgan will be declared a holiday. In Kalmykia, he is a national holiday, involving the revival of traditions and festivities.
Tsagaan SAR was in the list of official holidays only in 1990, as the Soviet Union was banned.
The history of the holiday
Cagans SAR, or Chaga-Bayram has many names. All because of countless peoples and their dialects celebrate this holiday. The new year marks not only the beginning of a new lunar cycle. On this day, every man becomes older by one year, even if celebrating a Birthday in a different day. That is, each honoring the national traditions of the Mongols can be considered Sagaalgan their second birthday.
Many years ago the celebration was dedicated to the harvest, because it was observed in early autumn. At this time, gathered the crops, were done with milking animals, because the day often bore the name of White month. From dairy products was made to cook meals which were served on Sagaalgan to the table.
Years later the celebration moved to the end of February. This tradition was founded by the grandson of Genghis Khan and lasted until the 14th century. Already in the 17th century Tsagaan SAR came to symbolize purity and Holiness, filled with rituals and traditions. Since 2004, the festival became an official holiday in certain regions of the USA.
Now honor Sagaalgan celebrate 3 days and 3 nights, but it was the first day off involves the observance of rites.
Traditions and customs
White month Sagaalgan in 2021 is celebrated for three days, but the preparation starts much earlier. You want to marinate foods, buy meat and prepare tasty treats for family and children.
Are such traditions:
- A few days Housewives are made to get the house in order and clean. It is important to not only wash the floors and clean the dust, but also to get rid of old unwanted things. All the trash that accumulates throughout the year and not used, must be thrown out.
- Before the New year, believers hold a day-long fast.
- Need to buy new clothes or at least some element — such as a handkerchief, belt, etc. as the festival is the beginning of a new year and a new life, you need to start with a clean face — get rid of the old, to give chance to new.
- In years past all the clutter and old clothes defiantly burned at the stake. Now it is accepted to sacrifice their belongings to the people who need them.
- Previously, men had to upgrade the harness, saddle, horseshoes for his assistant — horse. Time has changed, and the main means of transport among the representatives of the stronger sex was a car. Because the updates should be devoted to him — to replace the tires for service or just buy a new “tree” to the salon.
- The rite of purification — the final stage of preparation. Fumigation herbs are subject as people, and house with car.
- Made cooking meat — beef or lamb, which is then served to the festive table. Also popular dishes is boozy and borcoci.
- A day Sagaalgan need to dress all in white.
- In the holiday people visit each other and invite relatives and friends to his home. New year, even on Mongolian traditions must be marked bright, noisy and fun.
- You first need to congratulate the senior members of the family. The youngest member is coming to him, hands outstretched palms up. The senior ought to drop your hands and patronize him. These traditions are interpreted as mutual respect and support.
- As gifts have no restrictions. Usually gifts are exchanged right at the dinner table, accompanying them with congratulations and wishes.
Wishing to celebrate Sagaalgan in 2021 should remember that alcoholic beverages are not permitted on the holiday table. Made use arsy prepared with sour curd.