Orthodox Christians will observe the fast of the apostles many days in 2021 traditionally a week after Trinity. The priests say that this period should not only limit yourself in food and to completely abandon the products of animal origin, but also to be cleansed spiritually, to pray, to repent of their sins.
Apostolic or post Petrov is not as strict as Great, yet there are a number of limitations that believers necessarily respect. In order to properly fast, it is important to know that you can use, and what restrictions exist.
When will it be?
According to Church canons, the Apostolic lent lasts until 12 July, but the beginning has no fixed date. The fact that it starts on Monday, a week after Trinity or on the 57th day after a Light holiday – Easter. In this regard, the period of abstinence can last from 8 to 42 days.
Important! To calculate what number will Petrovsky post in 2021, enough to know the date of the celebration of the Trinity. Since the holiday falls on June 7, the post will run from 15 June to 12 July 2021, that is 27 days.
Believers fasting before the feast of commemoration of the apostles Peter and Paul, celebrated on 12 July. Usually on a holiday you can eat a full meal, but if it falls on Wednesday or Friday, then from animal products should be abandoned, but the fish bring to the table is permitted.
The history of
The exact date of Peter’s post is unknown, though it happened in ancient times. The first mentions of it are still in the III century. Now people fast to purify themselves spiritually before the holiday, dedicated to the apostles Peter and Paul, but it was not always so. Abstinence from meat products in June was often referred to as the compensation office. The fact that initially it abide people who, for medical or other reasons could not be fasting before Easter.
Has established a tradition to abstain from meat and dairy dishes in Rome and Constantinople when these cities began to build temples in honor of the godly apostles. July 12 (old calendar – June 29) was a holiday dedicated to the disciples of Jesus Christ, as this day was held the consecration of one of the temples. Later, among Christians established the commemoration of the saints, restriction of food, carnal pleasures, and prayer.
Interesting! There is a view that in Ancient Russia apostles ‘ fast was introduced to eradicate any summer rituals that were performed after Trinity.
The basic rules of food
In the Apostolic post should completely abandon the following products:
- all types of meat – chicken, beef, pork, lamb, etc.;
- dairy products – milk, sour cream, cottage cheese, cheese, yogurt, etc.;
- chicken and quail eggs.
When composing a diet, it is important to adhere to the following rules:
- On Mondays, you should prepare hot meals, but they can not add even vegetable oil. It can be vegetable stew, steam cutlets from potatoes, carrots and other vegetables, soups, cereals etc.
- On Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays vegetable diet can add fish. It can be consumed in any form – steamed, fried, salted, smoked. You may use the fish for cooking first and second courses, salads, appetizers. Hot food is prepared using vegetable oil.
- On Wednesdays and Fridays is permitted only eat raw and cold food. Diet these days usually consists of bread, salads, fresh vegetables and fruits.
As Petrov post always appear in summer, and the observance do not usually occur as the season of fresh vegetables and fruits is in full swing. To prepare meatless dishes, you can use mushrooms, grains, legumes, canned fish, vegetable harvesting and salting (if left in the winter). On the weekends allowed to take small quantities of red wine, and other types of alcohol should be abandoned.
Important! On the Nativity of John the Baptist, which is celebrated on the 7th of July, you are allowed to eat fish and drink wine in small quantities, regardless of what day of the week it falls.
Main prohibitions and restrictions
People fast in order to purify the soul. It is important not only to limit itself in meal, but stick to some other rules:
- At the time of fasting should abandon the fun and entertainment. You can not go to clubs and discos, loud music, reading entertaining books and magazines, watch TV.
- You want to avoid the noisy companies and feast.
- It is not desirable to cut hair, or they can become rare.
- Should abandon the use of alcohol and other harmful habits.
- It is important to maintain good relations with other people, not to engage in quarrels and scandals.
- You need every day to pray, go to Church to serve, to fill the soul of light and positive energy.
The Church allows is not strictly fasting, but it is important to pay attention to the spiritual purification. The restriction in food is meaningless if the thoughts of man are full of negative energy, it will be overflowing anger and irritation, he would come into conflict with other people.
After following Peter’s fast in 2021 believers will undergo the rite of Unction. It includes an anointing with oil to attract God’s grace to the person suffering from the disease.
Can I get married?
Today’s youth rarely respects the tradition and maintains the Church calendar when planning a wedding celebration. According to Church ordinances, to hold the wedding in the period of the apostles ‘ fast is prohibited. To withdraw from the marriage if the wedding is scheduled. Conducting this rite banned. It is better to postpone the celebration for the second half of July or first half August.
Important! To baptize a child at any time. If the christening is held in the post, should abandon a lush celebration and fun. On the table should be only Lenten dishes.
Knowing when will the fast of the apostles in 2021, you will be able to build their plans and prepare for the purification of the soul through abstaining from food and other earthly pleasures, prayer, and repentance of sins.
See video about the traditions and rules of respect to Peter’s post: