Making films based on video games has already become a kind of tradition in the world of cinema. “Mortal Combat”, one of the bloodiest video games in the fighting style, was no exception. The 2021 film “Mortal Kombat” will be her third film version.
The crew and the process
Officially, the idea of creating a film adaptation of the video game was announced back in 2011, and the Director’s work was planned to be entrusted to Kevin Tancharoen (“Legacy”, “Iron fist”). Work on the feature film was suspended for several years, until the famous horror film Director James WAN (“Astral”, “saw”, “the conjuring”) agreed to produce it in collaboration with Michael Clear, Jeremy Stein and Todd Garner.
Together with them on the film mortal Kombat 2021 are working:
- Director: Simon Mcquoid, who previously worked on the creation of commercials for Samsung, Play Station. “Mortal Kombat” will be his film debut.
- Writer: Greg Russo (not to be confused with the brothers Russo), who also engaged in “transfer” on the screens of the games “Resident evil” (Resident Evil) and “Saint Row”.
- Executive producer: Lawrence Kasanoff, known as the founder of the “Mortal Combat” franchise. He worked on the first film of 1995, as well as such blockbusters as “terminator”, “True lies”, “Beowulf”. In total, he has more than 200 films in his Arsenal.
The first film, Mortal Kombat (1995), earned $ 122 million (with a budget of $ 18,000,000), and its sequel, Mortal Kombat 2: Extermination (1997), earned about $ 51 million (with a budget of $ 30,000,000), after which the interest of film studios in creating a continuation of the story faded for a long time.
The release date of the new film adaptation of “Mortal Kombat” is set for March 5, 2021. In America, it can be seen one day earlier. The film will be released with an adult rating of “R”. Screenwriter Greg Russo hinted that it would be a bit like Deadpool with Ryan Reynolds, where brutal murders and black humor alternate with tragic and emotional scenes. But at the same time, the atmosphere of the Mortal Combat game itself will be preserved with an individual story of each character, cruelty and even absurdity of plot twists.
Greg Russo announced the beginning of filming on September 16, 2019, when he posted a photo of the “firecracker” on his Twitter account with the caption “May the Elder Gods help us”. Filming has begun in South Australia and will be, according to local authorities, one of the most ambitious projects in the region in recent years. Some local studios will also be involved in creating visual effects for the film.
One of the filming locations is expected to be Uzbek cities. Producer Lawrence Kasanoff visited Tashkent, Samarkand and Bukhara in the summer of 2019 in search of suitable locations. The national film Commission of Uzbekistan will also take part in the filming process.
The following actors are involved in the filming of the 2021 film “Mortal Kombat”::
- Joe Taslim (“RAID”, “Fast & Furious 6”) – Sub-Zero.
- Mehcad Brooks (“Desperate Housewives, “”Playing by someone else’s rules”) as major Jackson” JAX ” Briggs.
- Jessica McNamee (“the Oath”,” White collar”) as U.S. army Lieutenant Sonya Blade.
- Josh Lawson (“the Abode of lies”) – a murderer and a mercenary Kano.
- Hiroyuki Sanada (“Dark samurai”, “rush Hour 3” – is an immortal Scorpion.
- Jin Han (“the Dark knight”, “Marco Polo”)») “the powerful sorcerer Shang Tsung.
- Ludi Lin (“Black mirror”, “Marco Polo”) – Shaolin monk Liu Kang.
- CECE stringer is one of the best assassins in the milina Empire. For the actress, the role will be her debut in the world of cinema.
- Tadanobu Asano (“Thor: Ragnarok”, ” Silence») – Raiden. Although fans until recently hoped to see Christopher Lambert in this role.