According to the tradition, the holiday of Ivan Kupala in 2021 will have on the summer solstice. This day in Western European mythology was special, beneficial, granting success and prosperity to those who met and accompanied it properly. In Russia, the holiday was waiting with a special look, because it symbolized the life force, and was marked by festivities and dances until dawn.
The exact date of the celebration in 2021
According to the old calendar, the feast was celebrated on 24 June and the new style date of Ivan Kupala day annually falls on July 7. All ceremonial events, according to the traditional interpretation must be performed in the night of 6 to 7 July. These watches are considered to be filled with the magic of healing, renewal and love. Wedding alliances is scheduled for Midsummer’s day, was considered especially strong.
The Orthodox people also important to know when in 2021 will be the Midsummer night, because this day on the Church calendar coincides with the Nativity of John the Baptist. In the New Testament refers to the relative of Christ, who led an ascetic life, preached repentance and testified of the soon coming of the Saviour.
The history of the holiday
In pre-Christian Russia, the festival was a sign of worship of the Slavonic deity Yarily, which symbolized the beginning of life. He was revered as the patron Saint of love, flowering, cleanliness. The holiday was named not only the day of Kupala, but also Ariminum day Cochem, Ivan the herbalist. All the festive events were devoted exclusively to the ancient God Yarily-Sun.
Kupalov day was considered the most important of all summer holidays, so it was celebrated on a large scale. Prepared Slavic tribes advance carefully, without avarice. Celebrated for all families regardless of their place of residence. Christianity, as a religion, totally intolerant of paganism. With the baptism of Rus the old ideas about the gods eradicated. Those events which for centuries had a special significance in the cultures of the local population were converted to the Christian way. So, the day of Ivan Kupala, which coincided with the birthday of John the Baptist, has turned into a religious holiday.
Today decided to celebrate the birth of the forerunner of Christ with a visit to the morning service in the local churches. Night festivities, divination, rites of passage, playful merrymaking ceased to be part of the modern culture. It is believed that the water on Kupalov day has the same effect as that in the Baptism of Christ. For believers useful morning bath in rivers, ponds. Orthodox believers worship celebration in the morning: go to Church, make bathing in the sanctified sources. Made to harvest water for future use to wash it during the ailments.
The pagan rituals adopted by Kupalov day:
- Mass bathing in the rivers. The people believed that evil spirits (water, mermaids) out of the water on the occasion. Bathing was considered beneficial, life-giving, safe up to Ilyin of day.
- The Northern Slavic tribes stoked. Steamed whole families, drank special herbal teas, invigorating, health.
- On the banks of rivers lit large bonfires. While the flames burned, the water lowered wreaths of flowers: if a wreath floated down the river, and did not go to the bottom, expected happiness, love.
- The tree was decorated with wreaths, and then around him danced. Sometimes, instead of wood used cut the top of the tree (the Kupalo), which endured for the village, decorated with flowers. While the girls danced, the young men tried to steal the Kupalo – it was one of the most fun night of games, in which participated only free from family ties young people.
- Purifying bonfires were an essential symbol of Kupala night. For them on the outskirts of the villages ahead of time collected a huge pyramid made of branches, logs, twigs. Center “facilities” was a wooden pole with a barrel of tar. The flame of such fire, it is important to maintain before sunrise.
Looking for night blooming fern, people believed that whoever finds it will be lucky the whole year. Early in the morning men, women and children lay in the dew. This ritual bathing was finished the night ceremonies. Beautiful, meaningful, bright holiday United people, inspired hope for a good harvest, well-being. He stopped the weddings. Was decided to invite guests from neighboring villages, to go to festivals in other villages.