Admission to the internship in 2020-2021 years will not be renewed, and to obtain the necessary specialization of future doctors will have to enter the residency – these changes included the approved medical reform, designed to improve the quality of care in hospitals and the level of training of medical personnel. Recall that in 2016, the internship was cancelled for pharmacists and dentists, in 2017 – for pediatricians and therapists, and in 2018 for the remaining medical specialties. And how this decision will allow to achieve the Ministry of health the task to fill “gaps” in rural clinics where there is a shortage of qualified personnel, it will become clear in just a few years, when will be released the first results of medical reform.
A new approach to the assessment of knowledge
If the previously existing education system was not making change, then, upon successful completion of the internship in 2021, a student could obtain a certificate that actually would allow it to carry out duties (subsequently every 5 years he would have had to prove their qualifications to be eligible to work in hospitals and clinics). But instead of certification young professional now needs to be accredited, without which he will not be able to get to work and get access to the patients.
Accreditation is the receipt of a certain number of points are charged for:
- participation in medical events (conferences, seminars, trainings, etc.);
- publication of articles and scientific works in periodicals, books, etc.;
- the use of complex schemes in the treatment of severe diseases etc.
It is expected that the methods of assessment of knowledge will be launched in 2021. But still a lot of issues that relate to accreditation procedure of (who will pay for accommodation and travel to the venue, will it be possible to reduce the time of reception of patients, to be able to participate in scientific research or seminars, etc.) and methods of scoring. However, in the Ministry explain, in the near future all these questions will be carefully analyzed and designed, and cancellation of the internship will happen as gently and without any consequences.
The conditions of admission to residency
Exam the residency will consist of several parts:
- Testing, which includes 60 questions (General medical knowledge). Its passage is given only 1 hour and during this time it is necessary to correctly answer at least 70% of the questions.
- Getting points for the current experience. Due to the fact that the work of rural doctors will receive more points, it should encourage them to move “in the Outback” and after graduation, at least a few years to work in village clinics (before entering residency).
Additional points will be awarded for the diploma with honors and for receiving the Presidential scholarship. Accordingly, the students who study on the contract, will not be so many chances to accumulate enough points (especially if they were not working in rural areas) to continue their education.
After counting the received number of points, the decision on the admission of applicant to the residency.
The shortcomings of the new system
Admission to the residency will be the only opportunity for a young physician to obtain the necessary specialization and continue calling. Although, on the one hand, innovation will help to attract doctors to work in rural outpatient clinics, on the other hand, the approved system is still very flawed and has a number of disadvantages:
- The overall level of professionalism of doctors can be significantly reduced, as many professionals will be forced to spend more time earning to pay for expensive training in residency.
- Lack of motivation to increase the level of knowledge among supervisors and teachers. As noted by the students themselves, some doctors are irresponsible to their duties and simply passed on to residents their paper work, instead of sharing knowledge and experience.
- To receive extra credit points cannot count students who are not on the budget form of education. In addition, they are not awarded for scientific work although, according to teachers, this activity is much better reflects the extent of current knowledge of students.
It is assumed that the percentage of students who are not able to enter the residency, will be quite high. From a theoretical point of view, the specialization will be able to count only hard working students with a high level of knowledge and certain experience. However, as this innovation will be implemented in practice, only time will tell and the first results of the work implemented by the Ministry of reform.