New year’s topiary is a universal creation. It can be both an excellent holiday decor (including an alternative to the classic Christmas tree), and a gift to loved ones for the New year 2021. Well, the most important thing is that it will not be difficult to make it yourself.
Experienced craftswomen say that assembling a new year’s topiary is fun and not too labor-intensive, and it doesn’t require too many materials. But this process also has its own subtleties.
- Observe the proportions. Crown, trunk and base-these are the components of the composition. Designers say that the crown should be much larger than the base. This rule works regardless of the overall size of the topiary. The most popular material for creating crowns are considered to be the foam balls and floral foam.
A foam ball is not cheap. Therefore, instead of it, they often use small pieces of ordinary foam glued together, which comes in packages of household appliances. However, it must first be given the appropriate shape. Do not worry if you do not get a perfectly smooth ball, during the decoration process all defects will be hidden.
- Pay special attention to the selection of the base. Due to the design features, the base must be heavy enough for the tree to stand steadily. Hand-made artists recommend taking a flower pot with a flat, wide bottom and filling it with a quick-setting mixture (gypsum, cement or alabaster), and then simply decorating it with tinsel, stones, etc.
- The tree trunk is made of twigs, thick wire, a kebab stick, and anything else you can imagine.
- A glue gun is well suited for fastening parts, you can replace it with PVA. But the lime, “the Moment” and in which there is acetone best not to apply.
- To decorate the composition, you can use everything that is found at home-ribbons, beads, bows, rhinestones, and so on. Many designers even use polymer clay parts. Some elements, if desired, can be decorated with gold or silver spray paint or nail Polish.
Several master classes
When creating a new year’s topiary with your own hands, success depends on the designer’s imagination. As we have already said, you can make a miracle tree from any material. We offer you interesting options.
Tangerines are one of the main associations with the New year. Therefore, the composition of these citrus fruits is suitable both as a gift to relatives, and as an interior decoration.
You will need:
- small tangerines;
- the leaves of Ruscus;
- the branches of spruce;
- the curved branch;
- flower pot;
- floral sponge;
- salt / sugar;
- office knife;
- From the floral sponge we cut out the ball-crown, as well as the base, which is placed in a pot.
- We wrap each tangerine with twine. Then we tie a wire to them. We fix citrus fruits in the crown.
- We put the crown on a curved branch. We insert it into the base. Fill in the distance between the tangerines with ruskus leaves, through which you must first pass the wire.
- Spruce twigs are soaked in glue and sprinkled with salt or sugar. This will create the illusion of snow.
- Spruce branches decorate the base of the tree. That’s all!
If the oasis is pre-soaked with water, then the greens will stand for quite a long time.
From Christmas toys
Perhaps the most new year’s topiary for 2021 is created from Christmas toys.
You will need:
- the Styrofoam ball;
- plastic Christmas tree toys of various shapes and sizes;
- foil or shiny cloth;
- twigs of spruce;
- glue gun;
- duct tape;
- thick wire;
- satin ribbons;
- a flower pot.
- We glue the foam ball with paper/cloth.
- We attach Christmas toys to the ball so that the composition looks harmonious, and at the same time you should not leave a lot of free space between them. It is possible that some of them will have to be pruned.
- Fill the voids with tinsel and / or spruce twigs. By the way, the latter can be sprinkled with glitter.
- We wrap the pieces of wire with ribbons and beautifully intertwine them with each other.
- Dilute the cement / alibaster with water.
Water should be poured into the mixture, and not Vice versa! Otherwise, dust will rise, which will not only stain everything around, but also get into the respiratory tract. What terrible consequences will be when combining a fast-setting mixture with the mucosa can only be imagined.
- We pour the solution into a pot and place a wire trunk in it. Previously, it should be slightly bent.
- We put a crown of Christmas tree toys on the trunk. It’s done! It remains only to wait for the base and glue to dry.
For the New year, you can collect a topiary of classic design from coffee, but in honor of the holiday, we suggest making it in the form of a Christmas tree.
You will need:
- coffee beans;
- A4 cardboard;
- sushi stick / pencil/long skewer;
- small size flower pot;
- plaster of Paris;
- cotton wool or crumpled newspaper sheets;
- decor – optional.
- We decorate the pot with burlap and fill it with plaster.
- Cut out 2 circles from cardboard. The diameter of one should be the same as the height you want to “grow” a Christmas tree. From it we form a cone, glue it well. The second circle is cut out slightly more than the base of the resulting cone. In the center, we make a hole (the tree trunk will be threaded through it), and along the edges – cuts.
- After the crown has dried, fill it with cotton wool or newspaper. Insert the barrel. Glue the bottom. We wait for complete drying.
If you don’t want to spend time creating a cardboard cone, you can buy a Styrofoam cone from a creative shop.
- On the trunk and crown abundantly apply glue and tighten them tightly with twine.
- Again lubricate with glue and in a checkerboard pattern glue the coffee beans with the flat side to the base. Try to leave as little distance between them as possible.
When buying coffee, do not skimp. Choose grains of the same size and roast.
- Glue the second layer of grains. Now we attach the seeds with the flat side out.
- In the end, we decorate our Christmas tree with beads, twine, on the top you can install an asterisk of star anise. Show your imagination. Your efforts will pay off!
Ideas for inspiration
We have suggested 3 ways to create a new year’s topiary for 2021 with your own hands. According to the described techniques, compositions can be made from almost any material. Turn on your imagination, be patient and a great result is guaranteed. Finally, we want to share some interesting options.
Videowith a master class on creating a new year’s topiary: