In the summer of 2021 starts the 16th edition of the European championship on football. On the occasion of the 60th anniversary since the organization of the tournament, the UEFA Executive Committee took the decision to change the usual format. For the first time the European championship will take UEFA member associations from 12 countries. The announcement of the cities that will host matches of Euro-2021 in football, was held on 19 September 2014 in Geneva (Switzerland).
Requirements for applicants
The decision to change the usual rules of the championship was made back in 2012.
Important! UEFA representatives stressed that this is a one – time action related to a significant event. Subsequent Championships will have the usual format.
The applicants had to meet the following requirements:
- each country specifies no more than 2 cities (1 standard and the final package);
- an obligatory condition is the presence of each airport with 2 terminals;
- the stadium should accommodate not less than a specified number of seats (50 000 – 1/8 finals and group meetings, 60 000 quarter – finals, 70 000 – semi-final/final).
If the arena is missing, the construction should start no later than 4 years before the start of the FOUR-2021. Reception of applications started on may 15, 2012. In the early days interest was shown by several countries by 20 September 2013 the applications were filed by 32 Association. The city’s bid to host the games in the packs:
- group stage, quarterfinals;
- the semifinals and finals.
The part of the applicants refused to participate or were disqualified by the UEFA Executive Committee. By April 2014 year there are 19 participating countries. The national Association was selected due to the fact that football battles should take place in Europe in each of the regional zones included in the 2 cities. 19 September the results were announced.
The host cities TH-2021
In which cities will host Euro 2021 football known Association is actively preparing for significant tournament. The discussion process was divided into stages. Initially, the members of the Executive Committee of UEFA has defined the city, where the planned group meeting (match 3) 1/8 finals (1 match), semi-finals and finals. The choice fell on London (England). Tournaments will be held at the Wembley stadium (capacity 90,000 seats).
Then there were selected 4 cities that will host 3 meetings of the group stage and the quarter-finals. Approved applications:
- Azerbaijan – Baku is waiting for players (the Olympic stadium will host 70,000 fans);
- Germany – football battles will take place in Munich at the “Munich arena” with a capacity of 75 000 places;
- Italy is located in Rome the Stadio Olimpico holds more than 72,000 people;
- USA () – Gazprom arena will accommodate 68 000 fans.
The final part of the ballot was devoted to a selection of cities in each geographic area to conduct group meetings (3 matches) and 1/8 finals (1 match). Approved applications:
- Netherlands players take Amsterdam containing over 50,000 fans “Johan Cruyff arena”;
- Spain – tournaments will be held in Bilbao (“San Mamés stadium” has a capacity of 53,000 seats);
- Romania – in Bucharest is “arena națională”, providing space for 55,000 fans;
- Hungary – in Budapest of fans and athletes will take the arena “Ferenc Puskas” (65 000 seats);
- Denmark – EURO entrusted to Copenhagen (Parken, 51 000 places);
- Ireland tournaments CHE 2021 will be held in the Dublin area (65 000 seats);
- Scotland – football battles will take place in Glasgow, the stadium “Hampden Park” can accommodate more than 51 000 people.
On June 12-13, will open the series of matches of the European Championship in 2021 Rome and Baku. The final stage will take place on 12 July in London.